3 c sugar
2/3 c cocoa powder, unsweetened
1/8 tsp salt
1 1/2 c milk
1/4 c butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. 1. Line an 8 or 9 inch square pan with foil; butter the foil.
2. 2.In a large heavy sauce pan stir in the sugar, cocoa powder and 1/8 tsp of salt. Mix well. Gently stir in milk with a big wooden spoon (make sure to use wooden spoon).
3. 3. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a full rolling boil.
4. 4.Boil with out stirring, to 234 degrees F. on Candy thermometer (or until a tad of Syrup, when dropped in a glass of very cold water forms a very soft ball which flattens when removed from water.) The bulb of Candy thermometer should NOT rest on bottom of pan. This process should take 20 – 30 minutes. Keep rechecking until a soft ball forms in the cold water.
5. 5.Remove from heat, add butter and vanilla, DO NOT STIR.