You will need a deep pie dish measuring 9 inch diameter. My pie dish was 4 cm / 1 1/2 inches deep.
Prep Time: 10 minutes for pastry & 10 minutes for filling
Cook Time: 20 – 25 minutes for pastry
Yield: 8 servings
6 oz or 170 g Shortcrust pastry or a 9 inch cooked pie crust (See here if you would like to make your own shortcrust pastry)
Note: Also in the shortcrust pastry is 2 Tablespoons of ground pecans & 2 Tablespoons of regular sugar. Add those when you add the flour.
The Filling :
4 oz or 125 g Cream Cheese
7 fl oz or 200 ml Whipping Cream half of this amount is also for the topping & 3 Teaspoons powdered sugar.
1 cup or 200 g chopped pineapple
Some toasted or untoasted coconut for the topping
For the custard :
1/3 Cup or 65 g Sugar**
2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
Pinch of salt
2 Cups or 470 ml Coconut Milk
2 Egg Yolks
2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
**Adjust the sugar to your taste
1. Make the Pecan crumbs (to add to the pastry if making your own) :
In a blender, add all the pecans and blend until fine breadcrumbs.
Make The Pastry
1.*** If you are using a shop bought pastry case, skip to the FILLING instructions. Put the oven on to 190 C, 375 F,Gas 5
2. Make your shortcrust pastry. If using our Lovefoodies Shortcrust Pastry recipe, add 2 Tablespoons of ground pecans & 2 Tablespoons of regular sugar. Add those when you add the flour.
3. Grease your flan dish & make sure you grease up the sides too.
4. Place your rolled out pastry in to your chosen dish. Make sure you gently push the sides around the dish and trim any excess pastry.
5. If you see any cracks or missing bits of pastry, use the excess from your trimming to patch these areas.