I have been looking for a Chow Chow recipe for a long time and I found this one on Facebook. I am looking forward to trying it.
Cook time: 1 Hr Prep time: 4 Hr Serves: many
5 c coarsely chopped green tomatoes
5 c coarsely chopped cabbage
1 1/2 c finely chopped yellow onion or sweet onion
2 c coarsely chopped bell pepper 1 red for color
1/3 c kosher salt or pickling salt
2 1/2 c cider vinegar
1 c light brown sugar, packed
1 Tbsp yellow mustard seeds
2 clove garlic, finely minced
1 tsp celery seed
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, or to taste, optional
1. Combine the chopped vegetables in a large nonreactive kettle or bowl.
2. Add the salt and stir to combine thoroughly. Cover and let stand for 4 hours or refrigerate overnight.
3. Drain the vegetables and rinse thoroughly.
4. In a large nonreactive stockpot bring the vinegar, brown sugar, and seeds and spices to a boil.
5. Reduce heat to medium low and continue simmering for 5 minutes.
6. Add the drained vegetables and bring back to a boil.
7. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 10 minutes.
8. With a slotted spoon, pack the vegetables into prepared jars. Cover vegetables with the pickling liquid, leaving about 1/4-inch headspace. With a clean dampened cloth, wipe the rims of the jars. Place the flat lids on the jars then close caps with screw-on rings tightly, but do not over-tighten. Arrange the filled jars in the canner and add more water, as needed, to be at least 1 inch above the jars. Bring to a full boil. Cover and continue boiling for 10 minutes. Remove the relish to a rack to cool completely.