Remember It Later
This recipe! Pin it to your favorite board NOW!Pin
How to Make German Chocolate Cake From Scratch: A Step-by-Step Guide
German chocolate cake is a traditional and beloved dessert that has been enjoyed for generations. This recipe is for a homemade version of the cake, made completely from scratch. The rich chocolate cake is paired with a sweet coconut and pecan topping that is sure to please any palate. Whether you’re an experienced baker or a novice, this recipe is easy to follow and will result in a delicious and impressive dessert.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9-inch round cake pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla extract.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, alternating with the buttermilk. Mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the topping, combine the shredded coconut, chopped pecans, evaporated milk, brown sugar, egg yolks, butter, and vanilla extract in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens.
- Once the cake is cool, spread the topping evenly over the top. Let the cake chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Tips and Tricks:
- To make the cake extra moist, try adding an extra egg yolk to the batter
- For a variation, try adding a teaspoon of coconut extract to the batter for a stronger coconut flavor
- If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, you can make a substitute by mixing 1/2 cup of milk with 1/2 tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar
- To toast the pecans, spread them out on a baking sheet and bake in a 350 degree oven for 5-7 minutes, until fragrant.
There’s nothing quite like a homemade German chocolate cake, made from scratch. This recipe is easy to follow and results in a delicious and traditional dessert that is perfect for any occasion. With its rich chocolate cake and sweet coconut and pecan topping, this cake is sure to please any palate. So why not give it a try and impress your friends and family with your baking skills.
One thought on “Made From Scratch German Chocolate Cake”
What is the recipe for the chocolate icing on the sides?
Comments are closed.