With the often prohibitive costs and questionable results of professional mold treatment, more and more homeowners are looking for ways to take care of the mold problems themselves. If the mold is affecting an area of less than 10 square feet and your family does not include anyone who is too small or too large or immune to immunity, you can address the problem yourself if you are careful.
Do your homework
First, review the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) website and read the different levels of mold infestation and the levels of protection they need, both for you and the rest of your home. Mold spreads by sending millions of spores in the air. Annoying a mold infestation can send germs flying and make your problem worse and more widespread unless you seal off the area and protect yourself.
Close any heating or air vents for the affected area, and install a window fan to pull the air out. Close the area with plastic sheets taped to the entrance. Do not touch the mold with your bare hands, put it in your eyes, or breathe in. Wear a business suit or disposable clothing that you can throw out after the job is done. Wear a respirator, gloves and goggles, and shower well after completion.
Take the right approach
Contrary to popular belief, you cannot kill mold with bleach. It may remove the appearance, but it will not get the roots, which will bloom again in a matter of days, and sometimes hours, if the area remains wet. Generally, the best way to get rid of mold is to completely remove infected material and rebuild. Removal is your only option if the moisture is coming from graywater or wastewater. If the source of moisture is clean, use a wet or wet steamer to remove wet or loose debris first and then place it in heavy duty garbage bags. Then wipe with water or scrub with disinfectants but do not soak the surface. When completely dry, deflate again with a HEPA vacuum.
Dispose of materials carefully
Fill the contents of the vacuum well and clean it thoroughly or replace the vacuum filter. You can get rid of the bags of debris with the rest of the trash. If the moisture problem that called for mold is resolved in the first place and the area remains completely dry, the mold may not regrow.