What You Need
boneless chicken breasts
salt, pepper and desired seasonings to taste
cooking oil and a little butter
8 oz fresh sliced mushrooms
1 green pepper, chopped
1/2 c chopped onion
a little minced garlic or garlic powder to taste
your favorite cheese (cheddar, muenster or pepper jack are my favorites)
Let’s Make It
Test Kitchen Tips: We opted to saute the veggies, remove them from the pan, cook the chicken and then put the veggies back into the pan to ensure the chicken was cooked through.
1. Put a few tablespoons cooking oil (I use canola) and a couple of tablespoons butter into a skillet. Sauté the mushrooms, green pepper, onion, and garlic in butter/oil mixture until tender.
2. Flatten the chicken, if desired; sprinkle with desired seasonings.
3. Place the chicken into the pan.
4. Cover with the vegetables and let simmer until chicken is cooked through.
5. Note: You can also remove the vegetables while you’re cooking the chicken and then when chicken is done, simply throw everything back onto the tops of chicken breasts. The choice is yours.
6. Add shredded cheese or large slices of cheese.
7. Cover with lid just long enough to melt cheese down through the vegetables and onto the chicken. (My favorite cheese to use is the pepper jack… mmm!)
8. Makes 6 servings. Do not freeze.
9. Serve with your favorite sides. Hint: To make this a little less fattening, try grilling your chicken on the outdoor grill and saute your vegetables in fry pan on top of stove as in recipe. Then continue with rest of recipe.