This pound cake is flavored with orange and ginger and topped with a sweet orange glaze.
3 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 cups sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup whole milk
3 3/4 cups cake flour
1 tablespoon ground ginger
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Butter a 9 inch springform pan.
2. In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add vanilla extract and beat to combine.
3. Beat in eggs, one at a time.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, ginger, baking powder, and salt.
5. Add 1/3 of flour mixture to wet ingredients. Beat to combine. Add 1/2 of milk and beat to combine. Add remaining flour in two additions, alternating with last of milk. Beat in orange zest.
6. Pour batter into prepared cake pan. Bake until golden and a cake tester comes out clean, about 90 minutes.
7. While cake is cooling, make glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together orange juice and confectioners’ sugar until smooth.
8. When cake is cool, pour 1/2 of glaze over top of cake. When first layer of glaze has begun to dry, top with remaining glaze.