These Southern Pecan Butterballs cookies are so buttery, shortbread-like and delicious. They are very addicting, and I make them bite-size so you can pop them in your mouth in one bite!
1 c butter, room temperature
1/2 c sifted powdered (confectioner’s) sugar
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 1/4 c all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 c finely chopped toasted nuts*
powered (confectioner’s) sugar
1. In a large bowl, cream butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract until light and fluffy. Sift in flour and salt; stir until well mixed. Mix in nuts. Refrigerate 1 hour.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
3. Roll dough into 1-inch balls. Place onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until set but not brown. Remove from oven and cool slightly on wire cooling racks. While cookies are baking, place the powdered sugar in a shallow dish.
4. While still warm, roll cookies in powdered sugar. When cookies have cooled, roll them again in the confectioners sugar to give them a nice even coating of sugar. Store in an airtight container.
* HOW TO TOAST NUTS – SPREAD NUTS IN A SINGLE LAYER ON A BAKING PAN (ONE WITH WALLS IS BEST) FOR TOASTING IN THE OVEN. COOK AT 400 DEGREES F FOR 7 TO 10 MINUTES OR UNTIL THE NUTS START TO TURN GOLDEN. SHAKE THE PAN HALFWAY THROUGH TOASTING.