How to Make a Delicious Meatball Parm Roll with Toasted Garlic Bread
Are you tired of the same old meatball sub? Do you want to try something new and exciting? Look no further than the meatball Parm roll! This recipe takes the classic meatball sub and adds a fun twist that will have your taste buds dancing. With a homemade meatball recipe, fresh marinara sauce, and toasted garlic bread, this sandwich is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. In this article, we’ll guide you through the steps of making this delicious sandwich from start to finish.
Before we get started, let’s gather all of the ingredients we’ll need to make the meatball Parm roll.
For the Meatballs
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
For the Marinara Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Garlic Bread
- 1 loaf French bread, sliced in half lengthwise
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Making the Meatballs
The first step in making our meatball Parm roll is to make the meatballs. In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, parsley, egg, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Use your hands to mix everything together until it is well combined.
Once your mixture is ready, roll the meatballs into 1-inch balls. You should be able to make around 20 meatballs with this recipe.
Next, heat up a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once the skillet is hot, add the meatballs and cook until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Once the meatballs are cooked through, remove them from the skillet and set them aside.
Making the Marinara Sauce
While the meatballs are cooking, we can start on the marinara sauce. In a large saucepan, heat up the olive oil over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the chopped onion and minced garlic. Cook until the onion is soft and the garlic is fragrant, about 3 minutes.
Next, add the crushed tomatoes, oregano, basil, sugar, salt, and pepper to the saucepan. Stir everything together until it is well combined.
Bring the sauce to a simmer and let it cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once the sauce has thickened and the flavors have melded together, remove it from the heat and set it aside.
Toasting the Garlic Bread
With the meatballs and marinara sauce ready, it’s time to prepare the garlic bread. Preheat your oven to 375°F.
In a small bowl, combine the melted butter, minced garlic, and grated Parmesan cheese. Use a brush to spread the mixture evenly over the cut side of the French bread.
Place the bread on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes or until the bread is crispy and golden brown.
Assembling the Meatball Parm Roll
Now that all of the components are ready, it’s time to assemble our meatball Parm roll.
Take the toasted garlic bread and place the meatballs on one half of the bread. Spoon the marinara sauce over the meatballs, making sure to cover them evenly. Sprinkle some extra grated Parmesan cheese on top of the sauce.
Fold the other half of the garlic bread over the meatballs and press down gently to make sure everything sticks together.
The meatball Parm roll is a hearty sandwich that can be served as a main dish or as a party appetizer. You can serve it with a side salad, fries, or chips for a complete meal. You can also cut it into smaller pieces and serve it as a finger food for your next party.
Tips and Tricks
- You can use ground turkey or chicken instead of beef for a lighter version of this recipe.
- You can make the meatballs and marinara sauce ahead of time and store them in the fridge or freezer until you’re ready to assemble the sandwich.
- If you want to add some extra flavor to the meatballs, you can mix in some chopped garlic or onion, or even some chopped fresh herbs like basil or oregano.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Can I use store-bought meatballs for this recipe?
- Yes, you can use store-bought meatballs if you don’t have time to make them from scratch.
- Can I use a different type of bread for the sandwich?
- Yes, you can use any type of bread you like. Ciabatta, sourdough, or even a hoagie roll would work well.
- Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
- Yes, you can make the meatballs and marinara sauce ahead of time and store them in the fridge or freezer until you’re ready to assemble the sandwich.
- Can I add other toppings to the sandwich?
- Yes, you can add other toppings like sliced mozzarella cheese or sautéed mushrooms.
- Can I use a different type of cheese for the sandwich?
- Yes, you can use any type of cheese you like. Provolone or mozzarella would work well.
The meatball Parm roll is a delicious twist on the classic meatball sub. With homemade meatballs, fresh marinara sauce, and toasted garlic bread, this sandwich is sure to satisfy your cravings. We hope you enjoy making and eating this recipe as much as we do!