There’s better than beginning the holidays with a slice or two of Honey Baked Ham !! By making your own Honey Baked Ham recipe at home, you’ll save yourself some serious money during the holidays, plus a pleasure to eat !!
Smoked ham: 1/2 (boneless)
Honey: 1 cup
Butter: 1/2 Cup
Brown sugar: 1/2 cup
Extra virgin olive oil: 1 Tbsp
1. To start off the recipe, cover with aluminum foil the deep tray where the ham will go. The trick is that the honey does not give us problems when it sticks.
2. To cook, you need to start with the sauce. For this part, heat half a cup of butter over medium heat in a pot with a teaspoon of olive oil. Finally, stir with a spatula until it melts and forms a liquid and yes this will be the sauce.
3. You can then add about 100 g of brown sugar and 1 cup of honey in the sauce, stirring until everything is well unified. You’re recommended to let it heat over low heat while you prepare the rest of the recipe.
4. At this point, make sure the ham is cut into thin strips whose cut does not reach the end. Let me explain, so that the sauce and the cooking in the oven are impregnated everywhere, you must make thin portions on the piece. (always remember it must not lose the unique shape of the ham). All that needs to be done now is to place the ham on the tray that you had covered with aluminum foil.
5. Now comes the part for the more artistic ones, meaning that you have to paint all the ham with the sauce you had previously made using a brush. Do not leave any hole unpainted. For the purpose, you should go over it several times. Always save the sauce for later steps.
6. Keep in mind that the ham should be covered with more aluminum foil to forbid it from burning too much in the oven and comes out perfect.
7. Immediately bake at a little less than 200º for about 2 hours. It’s wise to calculate that for each kilo you should cook for 30 minutes. Accordingly, you must remove it from the oven, every 20 or 25 minutes, and give it a new pass with the honey sauce.
8. I always put my oven in grill mode, in the last 10 minutes of baking, to perfectly brown the surface of the ham.
9. Now that’s browned, take the ham out of the oven and serve it on the plate with the remaining honey sauce & ENJOY !!!