1 15.25 oz boxed white cake mix
3/4 cup boiling water
1 3 oz box strawberry flavored Jell-O
1/2 cup cold water
1 8 oz tub Cool-Whip non-dairy whipped topping
1 8 oz tub ready-made frosting, any type (I like the whipped white frosting for this recipe)
1 tsp almond extract
+ 1 16-oz container fresh strawberries for topping
1. Bake cake as directed on the back of the box for a 9×13 pan. (To make boxed cake mix taste better, I swap out milk for the water and add an additional egg – or egg white in this case!)
2. Let the cake cool for 20 minutes and “poke” the cake with a large fork. I space my pokes about 1/2? apart, covering the entire surface of the cake.
3. Stir the boiling water and Jell-O in a mixing bowl until the Jell-O is completely dissolved. Pour in the cold water and continue to stir, then pour over the cake.
4. Cover the cake with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about three hours.
5. Combine the Cool-Whip and frosting, stirring gently. Add in almond extract. Spread on top of the cake.
6. Wash, core and slice/ dice the strawberries. (You can even use a fancy strawberry slicer if you’d like!) Layer them on top of the cream when ready to serve. Store cake in the fridge.